If you are a qualified Contributor, you may apply for a GNHT loan to Build or repair your home.
Whether you are looking for a loan to build, repair or improve your home, we have a loan product to cater to your need. GNHT loans are categorized as either a Homeowners’ Loan or a Non-Homeowners’ Loan. Each offers different benefits to our contributors.
If you do not own a house and you have never received a loan from the GNHT, you can apply for a Non-Homeowners’ Loan as an individual or you may even join with a qualified co-applicant to borrow more.
If you own a house but have never received a loan from the GNHT, you can apply for a Homeowners’ Loan. Your Homeowner’s Loan can be used to:
- assist in acquiring a Home at Avalon, however, the homeowner cannot be the primary applicant.
- assist with the construction of another property.
- repair/improve your house.
Looking for somewhere to start? CLICK HERE!
How to Qualify for a GNHT/CHT LOAN
To qualify for a GNHT/CHT Loan you must:
- Be currently contributing to the Trust.
- Have made at least 36-60 Monthly contributions of which 30 must have been made in the last 3 years just before the date of your application. However, overseas voluntary contributors must have paid at least (2 years) of contributions, of which 12 months (1 year) must be paid in the period leading up to the date of application.
- Have paid up any outstanding contributions due.
- Gather up requirements (CLICK HERE)
- Be between the ages 18 and 65.
- Be earning an income which allows you to repay the loan.
Each loan has a different maximum amount or loan limit that can be accessed by a Contributor. For more information on the different loan limits apply here.
If you would like to confirm how much you would qualify to borrow, we can supply you with an eligibility letter.
Interest rates on loans range depend on your income at the time of application for the loan. The following are the Interest Rates for the different Income effective January 1, 2020:
| ||INTEREST RATES (%)|
|INCOME (MONTHLY)||Disabled Persons||(New) Mortgagors 55 years & older and contributing for a minimum of 10 years||Public Sector Workers||All Other Contributors|
| Minimum wage – $50,000.99|| 0%|| 0%|| 0%|| 0%|
| $50,001 – $60,000.99|| 0%|| 0%|| 0%|| 0%|
| $60,001 – $70,000.99 – || 0.99%|| 0.99%|| 1%|| 1.99%|
| $80,001 & over|| 1.99%|| 1.99%|| 2.99%|| 3.99%|
Mortgage Calculator Add the Mortgage Calculator here
Our Mortgage Calculators are provided to give you an idea of what you can afford.
Please note that:
- The figures quoted are only estimates. Please contact us for further details.
- We are not offering a loan based on the results given by the calculator.
- Monthly re-payment includes home owners and life insurance where applicable.
- For Open Market purchases, the affordability and monthly payments are subject to a further change, as the insurance amount stated in the valuation report is a key factor in determining one’s affordable basic and monthly mortgage.
Build on Own Land Loan
If you are an GNHT/CHT contributor who owns land or who has legal permission to build on a plot of land and you are ready to start building your home, then our Build-on-Own-Land (BOL) Loan is right for you.
The Build on Land is a Non-Homeowners Loan. This loan allows you to access funds if you have a house lot that you wish to build on and have never received a GNHT loan before. If you already are a homeowner and have never received a loan from the GNHT, you can access funds to improve your house through our Home Improvement Loan.
If the cost to construct the unit is more than the amount being borrowed from us, then you must use your own funds to cover the difference before the Trust pays the loan. If you need (and can afford) to borrow more money, you may seek additional funds from another lending institution that is willing to enter into a Joint Finance mortgage with us.
Generally speaking, persons who have previously received a loan from the GNHT, do not qualify for the BOL Loan. However, persons who have received a loan previously, but do not now own a home may still be able to access funds through our Home Improvement product.
Home Improvement Loan
If you have a house that you want to improve and have never received a loan from the GNHT, you can get this loan to make additions to the house or even to add fencing.
Home Enhancement Loan Plan (HELP) Loan
If you had received a loan from us at least 7 years ago and now wish to repair the property that you bought at the time or some other house that you now own and occupy this loan product may be able to help.
Public Sector Workers
New applicants employed to the public sector will continue to enjoy the 0% interest reduction that had been granted to them in 2015. Public Sector workers are “persons employed in Government Ministries, Departments, Agencies, Statutory Bodies, Government-owned Companies, Government Schools, Colleges and Universities and Local Government Authorities”.
- Central Government:
- Educational Institutions
- Executive Agencies
- Health Authorities
- Parish Councils
- Statutory Bodies
Loan Processing Steps
Whether you need a loan for building or repair, regardless of whether you are a Non Homeowners or already a Homeowner, here is a general outline of the steps that you should follow:
- Call or Visit our office to determine what you can afford.
- Identify the property that you intend to build on.
- Gather all of the documents needed. (CLICK HERE).
- Take all the documents to our Customer service Department.
- No appointment is required for this step
- There is no cost attached to the step
- Prepare all the required prequalification requirement documents outlined
- Contact us to set an appointment for a Prequalification Interview
- Attend a prequalification interview, taking with you all the required prequalification documents.
- There is no cost attached to the step
- All issues that need to be discussed/resolved will be addressed during this interview (E.g. Structural Engineer’s Report, Valuator’s Letter, etc.)
- You will be contacted within 5 working days with a Loan Interview date following the prequalification interview
- Attend a Loan Interview at our New Loan Department
- There is no cost attached to the step
- At the end of this interview you should obtain Letter of Commitment.
- We will then process your loan and contact you once processing is complete.
- If you are accessing a Build on your own land loan then you will be contacted by our project Appraisal and Management Department
- An interview will be scheduled
- The process will be explained to you
- A contract will be signed and a Project Officer assigned to you
CURRENT LOAN LIMITS
|Loan Type||One Applicant||With co-applicant (s)|
|Avalon Units||25% Financing||25% Financing|
|Serviced Lot||25% Financing||25% Financing|
|Standard Homes*||$15 Million*||$15 Million*|
|House Lot*(Open Market)||$5 Million*||$6 Million*|
|Construction Loan**||1) Standard Homes /Serviced lots purchased before April 2019: You can access a loan for the difference between the cost of the lot and the loan limit ($8 million), subject to affordability.** 2) Serviced lots purchased after April 2019: You can access a loan for the difference between the cost of the lot and the highest cost of a two (2) bedroom unit in the same scheme, subject to affordability. **||1) Same applies per applicant.**2) Same applies per applicant.**|
|Build On Own Land Loan||$8 Million||$15 Million|
|Home Improvement***||$2.5 Million***||$5 Million***|
All loans are subject to affordability.
* Up to 25% financing
** The Construction Loan is the difference between the individual’s loan limit and the amount accessed to purchase a house lot.
*** The Home Improvement Loan is available to homeowners who have never received an GNHT benefit. It may be used to repair, enhance or expand the homeowner’s house or another house for which he/she has legal permission to do so.